Thursday, June 6, 2013

Photography Post 1: Dark/Light



The dichotomy of Darkness and Light has existed for a long time - from Biblical origins (when the world was initially formless and void and then God created light) to light and dark imagery in Shakespearean works such as 'Othello' of tainted nature, to even the symbolism of struggle and resilience in Nolan's 'The Dark Knight Rises'. Whatever the case, one cannot be present without the other, and are at striking differences.

In this series, I planned to play with contrast - of this light and dark, silhouette and brightly lit, natural and synthetic. I wanted to create something striking with this contrast, as well as the photo (actually all photos) being dependent on light. And further symbolically; me coming to terms to the darkness that may reside in myself.

But enough about me, the low down about the lamp;

In this my mum is about to throw away this lamp that we've had for a while. The fringed detailing is falling off,  the lamp does not sit up straight nor does the lampshade. It's a little worn, a little wonky, but it's so ambient. The worst part for my mum is that there is no switch, you have to pull the plug out. I love this lamp and I was heartbroken to hear it would be thrown out as if it was trash. In my last desperate attempts to save it, my mum said no, if I really wanted a lamp she'll get me a better one, a more expensive and prettier one. Nevertheless I also wanted to capture the quality of this old-fashioned and much loved lamp. To shatter the illusion, I plugged an extension cord from the house and out to my driveway to the lamp late at night, and then started this shoot, I'm extremely happy with the results and it was nice to try and achieve something artistic in a while.

Anyway WHY AM I DOING THIS SO CLOSE TO EXAMS ;;

No comments:

Post a Comment