Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My Week, With the Common Underlying Theme of Youth


I finally got instagram (well, I finally replaced my old phone!) a lot of the photos are ones from my blog, and some are not. Or some where I've just done a flat lay but not taken pictures of my actual outfit. I notoriously hate obvious filters so I've been avoiding those (#exphotographystudentdoesnotappreciate) and seriously I have been waiting until my instagram banner was uploaded (THE MAGIC NUMBER IS 7 PEOPLE)


I've been watching a lot of Bewitched (1964-1972), the classic TV show where the wife of a couple is a witch. It is a delicious sitcom, of which my dad used to watch a lot of when I was a kid, and I love everything about it. The kooky broken effects, the monochrome, the cheesy humor, and man Elizabeth Montgomery is really gorgeous.


Fruit salads and hot chocolate for those cold studying days. Also bed socks. Many bed socks.


My mum's quilting fabrics (it is her new obsession and she is adorable). She made me a bag which honestly I cherish because I know of the hours she pored on it, hand stitching everything.


Lonely Heart Label sample sale! Which I went with with my friend Jasmine, and which I got a couple of pieces. Looking back I wish I had gotten a couple more things (a black maxi dress and a woolen sportswear esque cut out dress) but neither of them had my size so that was probably for the better. None the less, this
was comparatively dirt cheap and I went crazy in their storeroom. ah.


My cat enjoying the last few rays of sunlight


My mum went shopping at Nosh and she bought these massive italian cracker things and some dip (can I call it dip?) when I asked her what both of them were she had no clue (she is wonderful that way) and the dip was pepper and so delicious.

Just instagrammed the last photo for a random as competition on instagram where I can win a $1000 wardrobe. To be honest I'm pretty sure I won't win but still, the chance of free clothes and instagram was too enticing. (the inspiration is THIS)

Other Thing I Loved This Week

Just Being Miley- I was never a fan of Miley Cyrus, never have been, but this article kind of made me see her in a different light. Possibly because before I was viewing her from the perspective of a young, quivering yet judgmental young girl who just did not understand why she would do what she did with the fan base that she had. But now as I am getting older I emphasize with her youth, the way she may want to experience things, and that really, it's her damn life, and she's just living it.

Open All Night Part 2- This makes me want to talk to everyone I meet. How genuine this article is makes me want to melt. It is an appreciation and homage to youth, the way teenagers are just teens, just doing what they do (theme here much?). It was about short interview with teenagers that the authors scouted at night at an IHOP (american breakfast diner or something apparently). The night is a magic time, where pretty much the best things happen, and this captures the glory of the teenagers in all their angst, and rebellion, and hilarity, their shenanigans and their lives.

Stories We Tell - I really want to watch this film. This is a documentary film by the director Sarah Polley (Take this Waltz, Away from Her). It is about the director herself and her family, the way she interviews her siblings, her parents, relatives about her mother, and how her biological father may not be the one she associates with now. The selling point seem sappy but the trailer looks delightful and poignant, quirky and celebratory and movies about the strength of family are the ones that really get to me.

Dana Stevens on Roger Ebert - I really respect the work of Dana Stevens, her criticism is extremely well written and she's exposed me to new films, and new perspectives. She writes for Slate, and I'm pretty sure I first started to follow her when she was co-hosting a regular film podcast I listen to, Filmspotting. On top of that, I love Roger Ebert. He was the original person that allowed me to see what potential films had, how they embodied all it meant to be human in this experience and enigma that we call life. His reviews (or stories?) were my first bite of criticism which was so enjoyable to read, it was so fluently written and incredible. To read this was so beautiful. It was otherworldly. This is a beautiful article (with the beautiful scanned in letter), he was indeed, so much more than a movie critic.

22 - Taylor Swift

And this is my guilty youth song, loud and proud guys and HOW GLORIOUS IS THE MUSIC VIDEO. So, so, so fun. (Man how do I make the video player larger you can not appreciate this in that tiny thing. I HAVE CONQUORED YOU HTML. Now how do I stop it from being a square??? 

Sorry about the awkward layout of this post. As per usual I am way to lazy to change it.

1 comment:

  1. Aww loved this! How cute is your Mum? Omygosh :,) And I love that fashion + your cat are now making frequent appearances in your blog :P Oh the woe of instagram addiction and tacky filters.. *raises a guilty hand*. So glad you blogged today :D Gave me something fun to read whilst writing my horrendous Bio report! Haha xx

    ReplyDelete