Saturday, March 9, 2013

I'm gonna pop some tags


As you can tell with the title I WENT THRIFT SHOPPING TODAY! I haven't gone in so long I was itching for some thrifting. I had an idea for things that I wanted, I'm a sucker for prints and textures. And I wanted to be inspired in the way I dressed. Some inspiration that I thought about when I was thrifting was Cher from CluelessEnid from Ghost World, Frida Kahlo, Penny Lane from Almost Famous and Jessa from Girls.  all of which I am obsessed with and which I could real life body swap. I bought quite a bit of new stuff (some of which I adore to death) and I guess I'll list the reasons why I love thrifting so much

  1. I can go completely crazy. Releasing me into a thrift store is like a kid in a candy store. I go completely insane and I pile my clothes into a trolley of which I try EVERYTHING on and then eliminate. I guess with thrifting I love it because everything is soooo cheap. And as a byproduct of that I have more license to try on things that I would never even consider getting full price! Like today, I got a nana cardigan with this interesting texture as well as a plaid child's vest! 
  2. There is so much range. The thrift store that I frequent isn't one of those hipster stores where the store is actually selling the clothes at almost what would be retail price, it's a huge warehouse of donated and old clothes. It is simply massive. Therefore it's like a needle in a haystack you have to really be open to getting anything, and although there is A LOT  to get through, once I find something I love about something I will get it, and give it a good home. 
  3. DIY. Okay I haven't done this this visit, but usually when I go thrifting I look at things that I could use to DIY. Thrifting is good that way, because you could create something amazing, or if all goes wrong you can safely tuck it away without it ever leaving a hole in your wallet. Previously I've fashioned numerous shirt dresses from old men's shirts- of which one as an earthy Aztec print ahhh one of my better DIYs. I've always been attracted to DIY when I was about 12 I heard that tights with ladders were 'in' and so I ripped up some tights and wore them with pride. Sadly I just looked like I needed new tights more that being super savvy high end fashion model.
  4. Guilt-free. As thrift shopping gets more commonplace (and currently is considered 'cool' instead of embarrassing) it's a great alternative to regular chain stores as well as really discovering what you like. It's cheap, it's fun, and really it's quite satisfying. You're giving old clothes a new home, and paying not much for it either. Wooooooooo!
I think I've expressed thoroughly why I love thrifting and may or may not show my haul later. Anyway talking about Thrift stores, isn't this the greatest cover of 'Thrift Shop' ever???

No comments:

Post a Comment